Monday 24 August 2009

Everwood

I hate August. There's nothing on tv and when I work from home I like to have something to watch while I'm eating my lunch (I can't hold a book and utensils at the same time despite years of trying) so it's basically this or stare at my wall. My wall is nice, it's got pictures on it and everything, but I don't always want to spend half an hour staring at it blankly. Sometimes, obviously, just not all the time.

Anyhow, that's why I ended up recording and watching this... how to describe it? Pile of turd is a bit harsh but possibly not far off. I can't work out what sort of tone it is trying to strike or whom it's intended audience is supposed to be. It's about a hot-shot doctor dad who moved to this town called 'Everwood' (no-one has confirmed whether it's named due to it's male inhabitants having a constant erection - but no-one has denied it either so could be the case) after his wife died and he manages to wake this kid up from a coma but the kid is possibly not as well as everyone is making out cos he keeps beating the shit out of people and things?

Barrel of laughs it ain't. But then, every now and again, wacky incidental music will play and you'll know you're meant to find this particular scene gently amusing. Couple of days ago they did it all the way through an episode where an old guy who was a bit loopy confessed to a murder but it turned out the 'victim' was actually a dog. But you already knew that cos the stupid incidental music had already tipped you off so the reveal was less a 'reveal' and more a 'thank God that's over'. Still I watch it. That's what August does to you.

Anyways, these titles make me want to be sick in my mouth. It's so folksy you expect to be given a dreamcatcher through the tv every time it plays. And yet, as I have already stated, I still watch it. Stupid August.

No comments: